Tuesday’s Pick was…
2.00 Catterick : Chitra @ 5/1 BOG 2nd at 9/2 (Tracked leader, ridden to challenge over 1f out, every chance inside final furlong, just held near finish by a short head)
Wednesday’s pick runs in the…
Before I post the daily selection, just a quick reminder of how I operate the service. Generally, I’ll identify and share the selection in the evening before the following day’s race and I then add a detailed write-up later on that night/next morning.
Those happy to take the early price on trust can do so, whilst some might prefer to wait for my reasoning. As I fit the early service in around my family life, I can’t give an exact timing on the posts, so I suggest you follow us on Twitter and/or Facebook for instant notifications of a published pick.
Excellent Team @ 3/1 BOG
…in an 8-runner, Class 4, Conditional Jockeys Handicap Hurdle for 3yo+ over 2m on Good To Firm ground worth £6563 to the winner…
This 6 yr old gelding’s record of 3 wins and a place from 22 starts in handicap hurdle contests isn’t admittedly the best, but he did win this contest last year off the same mark (108) as this year under the same jockey, Bridget Andrews, who claims a 3lb allowance. And like last year he reappears 12 days after a defeat at Worcester on softer ground than this contest.
Whilst that 3+1/22 record isn’t amazing, it does look better under today’s conditions, where he is…
- 3+1 from 12 off a mark of 101 to 110
- 2+ 1 from 10 over this 2m trip
- 2 from 5 on good to firm ground
- 2 from 5 racing 8 to 12 days after his last run
- 1 from 4 at Ludlow
- 1 from 4 over course and distance
He’s trainer Dan Skelton’s only runner at this track today and since 2014, Dan’s Class 4 hurdlers have won 16 of 54 (29.6% SR) for 13.7pts (+25.4% ROI) here at Ludlow and these include…
- males at 12/41 (29.3%) for 13.66pts (+33.3%)
- at 10/1 and shorter : 16/39 (41%) for 28.7pts (+73.6%)
- over 1m7.5f/2m : 10/36 (27.8%) for 8.06pts (+22.4%)
- 11-45 days since last run : 13/34 (38.2%) for 23.61pts (+69.5%)
- in handicaps : 5/15 (3.3%) for 8.34pts (+55.6%)
- off a mark of 105-115 : 5/8 (62.5%) for 13.47pts (+168.4%)
- runner-up LTO : 5/7 (71.4%) for 6.05pts (+86.4%)
- in October : 2/6 (33.3%) for 6.29pts (+104.8%)
- and his only runner at the track : 2/3 (66.6%) for 11.36pts (+378.7%)
And from the above…males racing over 1m7.5f/2m at odds of 10/1 and shorter some 11-45 days after their last run are 9 from 17 (52.9% SR) for 25.4pts (+149.4% ROI) including Excellent Team’s win in this race last year.
I do like to look for in-form course and distance winners, because since the start of 2013 in handicap hurdles, horses with the little CD logo next to their name who either won or lost by no more than 2 lengths LTO are 254 from 1126 (22.6% SR) for 220.2pts (+19.6% ROI), from which of note today…
- 11-60 days since last run : 184/840 (21.9%) for 178.2pts (+21.2%)
- runner-up LTO : 39/152 (25.7%) for 85.3pts (+56.1%)
- runners-up 11-25 days earlier are 17/63 (27%) for 44.4pts (+70.4%)
- here at Ludlow : 10/27 (37%) for 37.1pts (+137.3%)
- and at Ludlow 11-20 days after their last run : 4/9 (44.4%) for 11.05pts (+122.7%)
…giving us… a 1pt win bet on Excellent Team @ 3/1 BOG, a price widely available from 6.30pm on Tuesday evening. To see what your preferred bookie is quoting…
Don’t forget, we offer a full interactive racecard service every day!
REMINDER: THERE IS NO STAT OF THE DAY ON SUNDAYS
P.S. all P/L returns quoted in the stats above are to Betfair SP, as I NEVER bet to ISP and neither should you. I always use BOG bookies for SotD, wherever possible, but I use BFSP for the stats as it is the nearest approximation I can give, so I actually expect to beat the returns I use to support my picks. If that’s unclear, please ask!