Friday’s Pick was…
7.45 Wolverhampton : A Sure Welcome @ 7/2 BOG WON at 7/1 (Chased leader, ridden and ran on to lead well inside final furlong, winning by a nose)
Saturday’s pick runs in the…
Before I post the daily selection, just a quick reminder of how I operate the service. Generally, I’ll identify and share the selection in the evening before the following day’s race and I then add a detailed write-up later on that night/next morning.
Those happy to take the early price on trust can do so, whilst some might prefer to wait for my reasoning. As I fit the early service in around my family life, I can’t give an exact timing on the posts, so I suggest you follow us on Twitter and/or Facebook for instant notifications of a published pick.
Athollblair Boy @ 3/1 BOG
…in a 9-runner, Class 5, 4yo+ A/W Handicap over 6f on tapeta worth £3752 to the winner…
Firstly, a warning…this 6 yr old is hardly prolific at 4 from 38 and without a win in his last 8 outings, so why would he now make it 5 from 39?
Well, that last win was a Class 4 C&D contest when he won off today’s mark of 76 back in March of last year and he showed signs of a return to form in another C4 C&D contest last time out, when 3rd under today’s jockey 10 days ago, just 2 necks behind the winner and course specialist Nick Vedder in a tight finish and he now takes a drop in class.
And whilst he is admittedly 4 from 38, that doesn’t tell the whole story, as he has 3 wins and 6 places from just 13 runs on the tapeta here at Newcastle, including 2 wins and 3 places from over the 6f course and distance and he’s 2 from 2 after less than 2 weeks rest here.
That’s possibly not enough data to convince you yet, so like A Sure Welcome yesterday, this one comes from a sire whose progeny excel on this surface. Basically offspring of the sire Frozen Power are 25/127 (19.7% SR) for 71.6pts (+56.3% ROI) over 5 to 8.5 furlongs on tapeta and these include of relevance today…
- in fields of at least 7 runners : 24/121 (19.8%) for 74.7pts (+61.7%)
- for prizes below £4k : 22/100 (22%) for 86.4pts (+86.4%)
- 4-45 days since last run : 21/98 (21.4%) for 75.7pts (+77.3%)
- in handicaps : 18/95 (19%) for 68.7pts (+72.3%)
- off a mark of 56-79 : 18/78 (23.1%) for 85.3pts (+109.4%)
- at evens to 8/1 : 23/69 (33.3%) for 53.5pts (+77.5%)
- beaten by 0.25 to 4 lengths LTO : 10/37 (27%) for 25.7pts (+69.5%)
- and 4-10 dslr : 8/22 (36.4%) for 8.24pts (+37.5%)
…from which… in handicap fields of 7 or more runners competing for less than £4k off a mark of 56 or higher at odds of evens to 8/1 some 4 to 45 days after their last run = 12 from 34 (35.3% SR) for 33pts (+97.1% ROI), including 4 winners from (44.4%) for 8.78pts (+97.5%) with no more than 10 days rest.
Another positive is the fact that over the last two years, trainer Nigel Tinkler’s Flat/AW handicappers dropping down a grade are 20 from 84 (23.8% SR) for 48.8pts (+58.1% ROI), including…
- within 30 days of last run : 19/67 (28.4%) for 62.8pts (+93.7%)
- sub-12/1 runners are 19/57 (33.3%) for 57.6pts (+101.1%)
- OR 56-79 : 16/48 (3.3%) for 66.9pts (+139.3%)
- 6/7 furlongs : 12/38 (31.6%) for 47.3pts (+124.5%)
- 6 furlongs : 9/29 (31%) for 33.6pts (+115.8%)
- 2nd to 4th LTO : 10/24 (41.7%) for 33.9pts (+141%)
- beaten by more than a neck but less than 3L LTO : 6/16 (37.5%) for 16.59pts (+103.6%)
- on tapeta : 4/13 (30.8%) for 4.92pts (+37.8%)
- Class 5 : 5/12 (41.7%) for 11.25pts (+93.8%)
- and here at Newcastle : 3/12 (25%) for 4.02pts (+33.5%)
…and from that little lot…over 5f to 1m off OR of 56-79 @ sub-12/1 odds within 30 days of last run = 12/25 (48% SR) for 48.38pts (+193.5% ROI) and this includes 8 winners from 12 (66.6%) for 24.13pts (+201.1%) from those with a top 4 finish last time out…
…pointing to a 1pt win bet on Athollblair Boy @ 3/1 BOG as was offered by a half dozen or so firms at 6.35pm on Friday evening, although those with an unrestricted SkyBet account could get an extra third of a point if they were lucky/quick. To see what your preferred bookie is quoting…
Don’t forget, we offer a full interactive racecard service every day!
REMINDER: THERE IS NO STAT OF THE DAY ON SUNDAYS
P.S. all P/L returns quoted in the stats above are to Betfair SP, as I NEVER bet to ISP and neither should you. I always use BOG bookies for SotD, wherever possible, but I use BFSP for the stats as it is the nearest approximation I can give, so I actually expect to beat the returns I use to support my picks. If that’s unclear, please ask!