Wednesday’s pick was…
4.45 Yarmouth : Swift Approval @ 11/2 BOG 4th at 11/4 (Tracked leaders, ridden over 1f out, kept on same pace)
Thursday’s pick runs in the…
Before I post the daily selection, just a quick reminder of how I operate the service. Generally, I’ll identify and share the selection in the evening before the following day’s race and I then add a detailed write-up later on that night/next morning.
Those happy to take the early price on trust can do so, whilst some might prefer to wait for my reasoning. As I fit the early service in around my family life, I can’t give an exact timing on the posts, so I suggest you follow us on Twitter and/or Facebook for instant notifications of a published pick.
Greenside @ 7/2 BOG
…in a 10-runner, Class 3, Flat Handicap for 4yo+ over 1m on Good ground worth £9338 to the winner…
This 8 yr old gelding is a former Class 2 winner and comes here off the back of a pretty comfortable 2 lengths win at Windsor 17 days ago under today’s jockey Harry Bentley in a similar Class 3, 1m handicap on Good ground to today’s contest.
With regards to today’s race, his career stats include…
- 5 wins, 2 places from 14 over a mile (4w, 2pl from 10 on turf)
- 3 from 8 at 16-30 days since last run
- 4 from 7 in fields of 8-11 runners
- 3 from 6 as favourite
- 2 wins and a place from 3 in May/June
- 1 win, 1 place from 3 here at Sandown
- and 1 from 2 on Good ground.
As for the race itself, the race trends for the last 22 runnings (since 1997) of the Whitsun Cup include the following of relevance today…
- all 22 winners had raced 0-3 times that season prior to the race
- 17 had a top 4 finish LTO
- 16 had raced in the previous 30 days
- 11 were sent off at 4/1 or shorter
- 10 were rated (OR) 90-94
- 10 were favourites
- and 8 came out of stalls 3 or 4
And finally for today, a quick look at how LTO winners trained by Henry Candy fared next time out tells me that those sent off at odds shorter than 6/1 in Flat handicaps are 13 from 40 (32.5% SR) for 14.7pts (+36.7% ROI) since 2015 of these include of note today…
- in races worth £3k to £10k : 10/32 (31.25%) for 12.44pts (+38.9%)
- in May/June : 5/10 (50%) for 13.59pts (+135.9%)
- those who raced/won 15-20 days earlier : 5/10 (50%) for 12.44pts (+124.4%)
- here at Sandown : 2/5 (40%) for 2.88pts (+57.6%)
- and those ridden by Harry Bentley are 3 from 3 (100%) for 8.32pts (+277.3%)
…giving us… a 1pt win bet on Greenside @ 7/2 BOG which was available from Sky, Unibet, Hills & BlackType (last two go BOG on raceday) at 5.50pm on Wednesday. To see what your preferred bookie is quoting…
Don’t forget, we offer a full interactive racecard service every day!
REMINDER: THERE IS NO STAT OF THE DAY ON SUNDAYS
P.S. all P/L returns quoted in the stats above are to Betfair SP, as I NEVER bet to ISP and neither should you. I always use BOG bookies for SotD, wherever possible, but I use BFSP for the stats as it is the nearest approximation I can give, so I actually expect to beat the returns I use to support my picks. If that’s unclear, please ask!