Monday’s pick was…
4.45 Wolverhampton : Arabic Culture @ 5/2 BOG WON at 5/4 (Raced wide close up, pushed along and headway 2f out, soon chased leader, ridden and every chance inside final furlong, led close home, winning by a nose!)
Tuesday’s pick runs in the…
Before I post the daily selection, just a quick reminder of how I operate the service. Generally, I’ll identify and share the selection in the evening before the following day’s race and I then add a detailed write-up later on that night/next morning.
Those happy to take the early price on trust can do so, whilst some might prefer to wait for my reasoning. As I fit the early service in around my family life, I can’t give an exact timing on the posts, so I suggest you follow us on Twitter and/or Facebook for instant notifications of a published pick.
Uhlan Bute @ 10/3 or 3/1 BOG
…in a 6-runner, Class 3, Conditional Jockeys Veterans Handicap Chase for 10yo+ over 2m4f on Heavy ground worth £7,018 to the winner…
It has been almost 11 months and nine defeats since this 11 yr old gelding last ran off a mark (OR) lower than 120 (my 50th birthday to be precise, but that’s another matter!) and that was also his last win, so I’m glad to see him back off a winnable mark and not having any younger, fitter runners to deal with.
He’s never been prolific (5/46 = 10.9% SR), but a quick look a this wins/best runs would suggest he’s more likely to win any/some/all of the following are present…
- a run in the previous 7 weeks (ran 19 days ago)
- sent off at 5/1 or shorter (we’re on at 10/3)
- going left handed (tick)
- handicap chases (tick)
- soft or worse (heavy today)
- OR lower than 120 (119 here)
- wearing cheekpieces (tick)
- running at Class 3/4 (C3 today)
…and when going left handed at 5/1 or shorter after 6 weeks rest or less, he is 3 from 5 (60% SR) for 7.41pts (+148.1% ROI) including 2 from 2 on soft or worse and 1/1 on heavy.
He is trained by Venetia Williams, one of my trainers to watch in the closing stages of the year (and also one of the trainers that switched me on to the statistical side of betting, but again that’s another story for another day), as her chasers are 104 from 567 (18.3% SR) for 227.2pts (+40.1% ROI) during the closing two months of the year over the past nine years, with every year bar 2017 showing healthy strike rates and ROI figures.
And from the 567 November/December chasers since 2011…
- 99/514 (19.3%) for 218.9pts (+42.6%) in handicaps
- 98/515 (19%) for 237.9pts (+46.2%) from male runners
- 94/474 (19.8%) for 204.5pts (+43.2%) at Classes 2 to 4
- 71/361 (19.7%) for 116.5pts (+32.3%) on soft/heavy (the stat probably most well known)
- 49/233 (21%) for 106.1pts (+45.5%) within 25 days of their last run
- 29/134 (21.6%) for 63.6pts (+47.5%) off marks of 110-120
- and 13/72 (18.1%) for 42pts (+58.3%) since the start of 2018 (so we’re not using old data as a crutch!)
…whilst from the above, Class 2-4 male handicappers on soft or worse are 59/265 (22.3% SR) for 108.6pts (+41% ROI), a handy little micro for 30-ish bets a year, but if 15 or so bets in a month from one angle is too much, then you could re-filter using the initial parameters to get…
- 31/109 (28.4%) for 90.4pts (+83%) within 25 days of their last run
- 19/78 (24.4%) for 25.1pts (+32.2%) off an OR of 110-120
- 11/35 (31.4%) for 18.65pts (+53.3%) off 110-120 at 1-25 dslr
- 8/35 (22.9%) for 17.67pts (+50.5%) in 2018/19
- 5/9 (55.6%) for 25.5pts (+283.3%) at 1-25 dslr in 2018/19
- 3/8 (37.5%) for 7.82pts (+97.7%) off 110-120 in 2018/19
- and 2/4 (50%) for 4.27pts (+106.8%) off 110-120 at 1-25 dslr in 2018/19…
…and this possible over-dilution points to…a 1pt win bet on Uhlan Bute @ 10/3 or 3/1 BOG as was offered by Bet365 (10/3) or Coral/Ladbrokes (3/1) or Betfair/PaddyPower/Hills (3/1) respectively (third grouping not BOG until raceday, mind) at 5.20pm on Monday. To see what your preferred bookie is quoting…
Don’t forget, we offer a full interactive racecard service every day!
REMINDER: THERE IS NO STAT OF THE DAY ON SUNDAYS
P.S. all P/L returns quoted in the stats above are to Betfair SP, as I NEVER bet to ISP and neither should you. I always use BOG bookies for SotD, wherever possible, but I use BFSP for the stats as it is the nearest approximation I can give, so I actually expect to beat the returns I use to support my picks. If that’s unclear, please ask!